Whence Regulation?

Ever heard of Dwolla?

Dwolla was founded by 28-year-old Ben Milne; it’s an innovative online payment system that sidesteps credit cards completely.

Milne has no finance background, yet his little operation is moving between $30 and $50 million per month; it’s on track to move more than $350 million in the next year.

Unlike . . . → Read More: Whence Regulation?

The Anti-Cleveburgh metric: Foreclosures

Awfully similar to the graphic I pointed out years ago in The Atlantic magazine… here is recent work by the Cleveland Fed with a map of foreclosure incidence by county (source).   Still a remarkable graphic in that you rarely see such state level geography show up so starkly.

If you really parse it. it is . . . → Read More: The Anti-Cleveburgh metric: Foreclosures

Brent Cook: How to Improve Your Odds

In the high-risk junior resource sector, 95% of the companies investors might choose will fail to hit paydirt. For your best chance to pick winners from among the remaining 5%, Exploration Insights Editor Brent Cook has some advice—including ideas about where to find good advice. In this exclusive interview with The Gold Report, . . . → Read More: Brent Cook: How to Improve Your Odds

Economic Events on November 17, 2011

At 8:30 AM Eastern time, the U.S. government will release its weekly Jobless Claims report. The consensus is that there were 395,000 new jobless claims last week, which would would be 5,000 more than the previous week.

Also at 8:30 AM Eastern time, the Housing Starts report for October will be released.  The consensus . . . → Read More: Economic Events on November 17, 2011